Patrick ran in the Kiawah Island Half Marathon this weekend and did AWESOME! He set a personal record, running 13.1 miles in 1 hour, fifty-four minutes, and fifty-nine seconds (1:54:59). Joan also set a personal record, finishing TWENTY THREE MINUTES faster than her time 2 years ago. Her time was 2:23:20. Her boyfriend Kris also ran – it was his FIRST half-marathon (although he runs all the time). His time was 1:58:32. Anne Louise and I were SO proud of our family! Click here to see all the results.
This is not the first time we’ve been to the Kiawah Half Marathon. It was Patrick’s third (we both ran in 2006 and 2007), and Joan’s second (2007). Every time we make this trip with our extended family – the Thurmans (Derick, Shelly, and their 4 year old son Andy) and the Allens (Emily, George, and their dog Barley). We have a blast every year. This year, since there are no strollers allowed, Shelly and I took the kiddos to cheer everyone on at the finish line. George got a shin splint a few weeks ago (after he’d done a TON of training), so he escorted us and joined the cheering section. Here are some pictures of us while we were waiting (check out the gloves on AL’s feet – she had on socks, but I was worried that wasn’t good enough, so I put her spare pair of mittens on top of her socks)!
I like this one – its Kris waiting right at the finish line (literally) waiting on Joan to finish. I couldn’t see very well, so I moved to try to get a good picture once she came in and completely missed her finishing.
I REALLY wanted to get some good action shots of our group running, but somehow I managed to miss EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM as they rounded the turn for the finish line (despite having placed myself strategically right at the home stretch . . . time for some new glasses, maybe?) I was so disappointed I missed everybody, but here are some pictures from after the race:
After the race, we went to Shrimpers, which is this not-so-great-but-right-next-to-where-we-were-staying-restaurant for some food and drinks. We had a blast, and then Saturday night, Joan made some LUSCIOUS chili, while Derick made yummy blue and yellow corn muffins and a salad with some of the BEST homemade ceasar dressing and homemade croutons. We had a great time visiting with everyone. Sunday morning, we got up, packed, and headed to The Sanctuary (a hotel on the Kiawah resort) to take some pictures by their Christmas tree – it was beautiful.
The drive back was fun – Joan and I sat in the back and entertained AL, while Patrick drove and Kris manned the radio. It was a great trip, but we were all ready to be home by the time we got here. A special thanks to Carrie for watching all THREE dogs – LOVE her! Next year, I’m hoping Caroline will join us and hopefully, I’ll do a better job of making time to train so I can do it, too! It is a really fun (and healthy) tradition!


0 comments:
Post a Comment