“Clark: I dedicate this house to the Griswold Family Christmas.”
Friday night, we put up the tree and decorated the house. Its really starting to feel like Christmas, now! The first not-so-merry part was getting the decorations out of the attic. Patrick and I did “fire brigade” passing things down, while Anne Louise watched from her crib. She seemed to be highly entertained watching as we passed down boxes and bags and boxes . . . it took a while for Patrick to locate all the decorations. One of these days, we might actually get organized and put everything in one or two LABELED containers.
After we got the decorations down, little AL went to bed and we got started on the tree. After thirty minutes of “is it straight” outside and then another ten inside, we finally had the tree in its stand and ready to be decorated. For some reason, decorating the Christmas tree always seems to involve a little (ok, maybe a lot) of stress. Which is exactly why we always have egg nog on hand . . . and PLENTY of bourbon to go with it.
Patrick did the lights, while I put up stockings and other decorations in the den. We have TONS of dancing stuffed animals thanks to my Aunt Cathy, and Anne Louise is already LOVING them.
After the lights were on the tree, we finished decorating with our meager collection of ornaments. I love the old ones – we have the one from my first Christmas, as well as one I made my senior year in college (there were 6 of us “Trashley Forest” girls, so of COURSE we had a Christmas tree . . . glad I snagged this souvenir!).
We really enjoyed decorating the tree and took some time afterwards to relax and admire our work.
The next morning, it was so neat to see Anne Louise’s expression when we took her to see it. She loved touching the branches and the decorations (made me rethink that whole glitter ornament thing!).


0 comments:
Post a Comment