
My neice Hannah came to visit this weekend. We haven't seen her in forever. Ever since she was little, she has called me Chicamama ("chee-ka-mama"). We have no idea why. Anyway, it was awesome to see her and have her in town. It made for a fanstastic family weekend. We did some shopping, ate lots of great food (including a traditional family trip to Providence Road Sundries and, of course, a delicious meal cooked by Joan), went to church (Daddy/Papa would've been proud), and just had a good time "visiting" as my grandmother used to call it.
Another thing we did was attend (drum roll) ANOTHER baby shower (seriously, I can't believe people like us this much). This one was extra special because my mom was able to attend (she was not feeling well for the couples' shower).
My stepmother Harriett was also planning to come, but due to her recovery from a recent fall down the stairs, her doctor told her she couldn't travel that far. We really missed her (and Kaki and Maggie, too), but I am glad they sent Hannah (and a big basket full of things for the baby)!
One of my best friends from college Meagan and one of my most favorite people in the world Judy (who happens to be Joan and Caroline's boss) hosted the shower. I am so lucky to have such special people in my life!
Everyone gave us some GREAT stuff to make life with baby a little easier. One of the books I have been wanting to read is Babywise. It is supposed to be an excellent book on setting your baby up on a schedule and (hopefully) getting her to sleep through the night quickly (its also based on Christian principles). I actually received it as a shower gift from one of my best friends from high school Allison (gotta love facebook for putting us back in touch), who is coincidentally a post-natal nurse that I have recently been harrassing with my billion questions. I have to admit, however, that one of my favorite things at the shower was not a gift, but was actually a note on one of the cards.
The card on the outside of the gift said, "Herbie," and it was written in a child's handwritting. My aunt Denise spilled the beans and said it was actually from my cousins Hill and Anne, and Hill had written the note.
On the inside of the card, it said, "We can't wait to meet you. Love, Hill and Anne." How cute is that??? Don't get me wrong, the gift was great, too (anything handmade by Denise is always awesome), but I absolutely loved the card. Another sweet homemade gift was from my sister Caroline, who wrote a very clever "contract" giving Patrick and I free babysitting for fifty-two date nights. It was one of the most creative things ever, and you can TOTALLY tell that Caroline has worked in a law practice and the insurance industry because there were TONS of legal terms. It was really cute. So cute, in fact, that we are going to frame it. (The haircut, as you can see in the pictures, was part of Joan's present -- she LOVES her hairdresser and convinced her to work me in on Friday night after her appointment.)
We missed those that couldn't make the shower, but had a really good time with lots of friends who are like family and whom I have known for a long time. Thanks Judy and Meagan!!


0 comments:
Post a Comment