Spencer is finally ONE!! And we’ve already had two blogs to prove it (see below)!!! I’m still behind in blogging about her weeklong celebration, but its probably because I’m in denial that a year has passed since this little bundle of sweetness entered our lives. But, what better way to celebrate than with friends, and family, and more friends, and other friends, and more family. And I’m not even exaggerating. Our special little sometimes-in-the-shadows second child had her time in the spotlight for the week before and after her birthday . . . and she deserved every minute of it. I loved watching her soak up the limelight – something she is not used to – and she was so humble in accepting the attention, giving anyone who would offer well-wishes (or, even better, offer her a sweet treat) the BIGGEST smile and laugh ever. The birthday celebration started off with Gogo arriving in town for several days (AL might have been the most excited about this, literally RUNNING through the airport baggage claim trying to find Gogo).
Spencer Turns One (1st Edition) – This was the “Kickoff” of the parties AND the biggest.
That weekend, we had Spencer’s First Birthday Party with friends and family at the house for doughnuts! The best part (besides the mimosas and abundance of Starbucks coffee for adults) – kids wore their PJs. Who doesn’t love sweets, not having to get dressed, and fun times with friends?? We had a blast, and Spencer got her sugar fix . . . and so did big sis Anne Louise who had her cousin Hill put FIVE doughnuts on her plate. I thought they were sharing, then when I found out they were all her’s, I thought there was no way she’d eat that much. I thought WRONG. But everyone got lots of exercise on the bounce house, and luckily we avoided a sugar meltdown. This party was super fun and basically pretty easy to pull off (minus the whole getting up at 6 AM to drive across town to Krispy Kreme because they really are the BEST). A friend of mine through Jr. League owns Sweet Birdies Nest with her sister (we are big fans of sisters in this house) and designed the super-cute invites and banner, which became the inspiration for the color theme of the party (and also my inspiration to go crazy picking out things on etsy for the party). I definitely may have taken the theme a little overboard and may have frequent flyer status on etsy now, but I don’t think its overkill to order custom-made polka dot PJs to match the invitation – it WAS a pajama party after all. I mean, I can’t help it if the lady on etsy just happened to have the exact shade of pink – apparently called “geranium” – polka dot seersucker fabric to match the invites (but, as seen below, I obviously didn’t have the right shade of pen to address the envelopes, but I tried)! My theme-overkill was also apparent in the party favors – I was super pumped about the recycled crayons in the shape of doughnuts (IN the color scheme, of course), but I forgot to get a good pic until there were only a few left! I also failed to think about the fact that 25 toddlers who just got sugared-up would probably think the crayons looked like some sort of treat and try to eat them. {What was I thinking trying to send a bunch of sugar-detoxing kids home with a treat that really wasn’t a treat?!!} A little bit of panic set in as we handed out the favors, evidenced by my incessant reminding to parents that these were “NON-TOXIC” crayons but to remind their kids they were “not to be eaten” – I seriously sounded like a broken record. But – on to the pictures!! The birthday girl LOVED being sung to, especially when her big sister led the singing!
And EVERYONE enjoyed the sweet treats!
Thank goodness for the bounce house to work out some of that sugar energy (I love the pic of the girls watching out the front door as Daddy put up the bounce house before everyone got there).
The ONE picture that best sums up the party is this:From another view (at least a few minutes later):
Spencer lying down on the bounce house slide. It was hysterical. She just laid there with her head down while people crawled around her until we finally realized she was trying to have the best of both worlds – naptime and party time. I took Spencer in to put her down, and I don’t think I even had the door shut before she was out . . . and she didn’t wake up until three and a half hours later. Now, THAT is a party!
We celebrated again on Sunday before Gogo and Kris left town with a chocolate ice cream cake. See “Spencer Turns One, 2nd Edition.” Spencer can go ahead and check “embarrassing first birthday pictures” off her list of things to do! \


0 comments:
Post a Comment